Author(s): Cristopher D. Moen
Institution(s): Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Description: The Charles Edward Via, Jr. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering offers an undergraduate program that facilitates development of critical analytical abilities and the necessary core of knowledge and skills for entry into the civil engineering profession or graduate studies. This body of knowledge includes the scientific procedures for formulating and testing theories and the procedures for applying theory to enhance welfare through engineering analysis, synthesis, and design. The civil engineer plays a key role in the design, construction, maintenance, and management of society's physical infrastructure, including transportation and communication systems, structural facilities for housing human activities, water resource management systems, natural resource development systems, and facilities and programs for environmental protection.
Emphasis in civil engineering education is on fundamental principles of science and mathematics and their application to solving human problems. But civil engineering activities interact in many ways with the natural and social environments within which they take place. Accordingly, the civil engineering program strives to create an awareness of the ecological, social, economic, and political context of engineering and attempts to prepare the civil engineer for the necessary interactions with other professions and the public. An effort to instill an understanding of the role of the civil engineer in satisfying total societal needs is an integral part of the civil engineering program.
At the completion of this course, students will be able to:
- recognize the breadth and specialty areas within the civil engineering profession;
- identify the components of the civil engineering undergraduate program of study and graduation requirements;
- identify Civil Engineering work in the surrounding community through local field trips;
- recognize the importance of the ASCE Code of Ethics and apply its principles to civil engineering practice;
- recognize contemporary civil engineering issues and the impact of civil engineering solutions on society; and
- conduct written and verbal communications in a professional manner.
Syllabus: These lectures are listed in the order given as part of the Virginia Tech Course per the Course Syllabus.